Friday, January 27, 2012

She Can READ! and other stories...

This morning was bumpy. LMS was just hanging on by a thread, but hanging on for sure. She did not test well in reading for her teacher this month, so we began reviewing her letters and basic sounds. Yesterday we finally moved on to an actual 1st grade Hooked On Phonics lesson. She did ok, but was really still sounding out EVERY word and confusing herself, so today I had her just do the intro page to each lesson we had don and half of a new on ( a total of 4) in order to get stickers. She did GREAT. She paused at each word, to sound them out in her head, but did not stretch them out or confuse herself. It was great! So we went right on to Language Arts. Here I thought. Oh good she will get a break while I read...Ooooh No. She had to read 38 pages. TO ME. ugh. BUT... SHE DID! 25 pages without any prodding an after that is was mostly about keeping her focused. Then it was off to town for a prescription...

LMS opened up today. Sitting in the parking lot with me waiting for Momma T she began pouring her heart out about all the things that happened to her in her previous homes, and how that made her feel. THIS WAS HUGE!! Then She told me about missing her brother and sister and how scared she was to leave there even though she didn't like getting hurt. HUGE!! I told her that I heard her. That I knew she was having a hard time and we were always here to listen and snuggle. I explained to her that her brain was probably bringing all of this up, because it was this time of year when she had to leave, and that her brain was just remembering. Then we gave her a treat for talking about big scary stuff, because we knew it made her feel scared and a little sick, but she chose to talk rather than act out. GREAT CHOICE!

She also said she hopes she gets a sister. Maybe a bit older so they can do makeup and hair, and chat and play guns(nerf dart).

Upon arriving home, LMS did her meds, had some time on Wii Fit kids while I used my new Spirit Cycle ( which I LOVE!) and we had playtime. 10 Min of playtime. We played hide n seek first toys hid from us. Then we hid, and now she is tucked sweetly in bed singing to herself. This was a great day.

2 comments:

  1. So glad LMS had a great day!

    Just wondering if you've seen this. He's a friendly little orange puppet who has big dreams of educating kids with CF and maybe meeting the muppets someday.

    This is my favourite video of his called "Take your Pills"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soN3XA3Mejw&feature=BFa&list=LLGLqx4Ev61hrIsCmmyzJgLw&lf=plpp_video

    Project website is here: http://www.mogankoforcf.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! Such a step forward. You guys are loving her to healing.

    ReplyDelete

HI! We're so glad you came to share with us!
We would love to hear your thoughts and questions!