Thursday, August 15, 2013

and....

done.
Went to hang out with Sunshine at the hospital today.
Yeah, so, that was kinda hell.
Bossy, yelling at us, testing every.single.limit, "spiraled out of her mind" is a calm way of putting it.
Me, saying in a very calm, accepting, not-at-all-freaking-out- tone "She's just raging." Didn't seem be to make RT feel any less confused as to how the hell I could be so calm, sitting in the middle of the storm, things flying around me, her screeching, doing my crossword puzzle.
This went on for over an hour.

She gets mean. She gets a little physically and verbally violent with MommyM. MommyM tells her she will not be there and be treated violently. I remind her that that is her goal. (MommyM tells me she knows, but Sunshine can't do THIS.) She keeps it up. MommyM leaves the room with Fe. I sit. She throws things. I watch it fly and raise an eyebrow. "Hmm. OK sunshine, I'm sure you'll fix it later."
NO I WON'T!!!!
"Hmm. OK." I return to my puzzle. (I will not engage I will not engage I will not engageI will not engageIwillnotengage hmph...:-/). Enter RT. She rages and refuses to do her meds. (RT calls for back up) Enter nurse who has been paged. Sunshine rages and refuses to do her meds and nurse asks if I have ever seen this and if she was OK and such and such and such. (no, I'm just this calm all the time.) Sunshine keeps throwing stuff. Staff gets scared upset nervous unsure convinced they need backup (and possibly a stun gun). (Well, I think they may be convinced that I don't have any reaction to her behavior, thus I can't handle it.)...Nurse takes us out to ask us what we would do in this situation (as we are clearly calmer and less worried then she). Docs have told us Benedryl until we have a better option, we told the nurse this and that we would only do this in a situation that had spiraled up where we could potentially lose control of the situation.
Nurse is very happy that it's so simple.
MommyM heads back into the storm and I wait to find out what's up. Nurse returns and asks how much and how we get her to take it. I tell her and she calls for backup which causes me to ask if I can just do it (After all, this isn't my first rodeo; plus a bunch of people would only make this harder.) With relief, she says yes and is shocked when I have her cornered in a chair (I can get across the room faster than she can plan and complete her next feat), sitting down, and taking the pill faster than it took the nurse to open the blister pack. I tell her good job and that she can handle this and make repairs and then back off so she can breath.
Sunshine takes a short breather then picks back up.
Nurse calls us out to talk about how long this takes and tells us that they may have to call psych backup if they cant get this under control and such. They're ready to give her another dose but both familiar and new back ups arrive while she rages, we suggest waiting a few minutes longer, and we all wait for the meds to kick in. Explain to them the RAD and the triggers and then they ask us several times if we have support and a doctor and such; are very, very, VERY pleased that we already HAVE an appointment next week as well as an established therapist; I made it very clear that I hoped we have very detailed notes about this and that we are not exaggerating. After about 30 minutes, the meds start to kick in and the RT head gets her to start repairs to her room by cleaning up. About five or ten minutes later, we come back in again to a very tired, loopy little girl. Who is back to being (a VERY tired) Sunshine...
Sigh.
Hard. Stressful. Embarrassing. For all of us.
I guess, at least now we have documentation of this insanity...
She has a volunteer when we're not there and I think through the weekend.
I order her food (the next five meals).
Her volunteer arrives. Then her food arrives. She needs stuff. We got her started and gave her the hugs and told her when we'll be back.
Got home.
Got a call asking us to help getting her to do her meds. She was not cooperating again.

I mean, people there tend look at us like we're nuts when we tell them that she can't have or do or watch certain things, that there are some really huge triggers that don't make any sense. That she rages and "loses her mind and can't come down" sometimes...
I don't think that will happen any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HI! We're so glad you came to share with us!
We would love to hear your thoughts and questions!