Saturday, November 08, 2008

FIrst Placement

we've got our first placement... and our second.
Big1 is six. She has been sexually abused and neglected. She has attachment... issues. She has been calling us "mommy" or some derivitive thereof since about the 18th hour in our home. She has night mare and night terrors. Mom told us that she has night terrors and was probably ADD. We think that she *might* be ADD but could equally likely be highly stressed and neglected and is therefor acting out.
Did you know that night terrors are about ten times harder on the adults who try to comfor tthem than they are on the child who is living them?
Big1 stuffs every last bit of food she can into her mouth. We didn't realize it until last night when was on her 4th whole peice of pizza (We had cut them in half and put the pizza in the middle of the table. She ate half of the pizza. She weighs 48lbs.) When she draws people, they have ovular bodies, stick arms and legs, and round heads. They also have
breasts ==> (@) (@)
& vaginas ==> (!)
... or she draws smaller people who only have vaginas... she says they are "private parts". :( our poor baby. I'm not sure she poops.

Lil1 is 3. She is the most complacent 3 year old I've ever met. It was two days before I heard her utter the word "no." And the first time she did that was in her sleep! ... Finally her sister made her mad enough today that she said, "Big1 NO, I don't. Want. to share by toys wit hue! Gib. it. BACK! ... MOOOMMMEEEE (yes Lil1?), Big1 took by keerbuhr!" Of course, at that point I also realized that she has a much larger vocabulary than she was showing previously. I was worried about her vocabulary.
Her mom was starting to potty train her, but she is not showing many of the signs of readiness. We've decided to give that a break, let her wear diapers, she doesn't care if she's wet or know that she needs to go, or know how to ask to go... She will potty in the toilet every time we take her, even every ten minutes. She will not poop in the toilet. I think she may do her best to not poop at all.
She started calling us "mom" today. This afternoon actually. While playing at the park, it came out accidently "Run MOM! Hurrwee, da tiger is gon a get choo!! come on!" Then it just stuck.
She still likes to be swaddled and then tucked into her blankets.

They both are now getting baby bottles at bedtime with three stories at night, the last one is always "Love you forever."
They both love chicken and broccoli - mom did something right! Although, I have to say, We had grilled cheese and tomato soup tonight. Lil1 says, "I has BREAD! I love bread!!!" [takes a bite] "AND I has CHEESE!! I LOVE CHEESE TOO!!!!"

Thier placement will probably no longer be voluntary after tomorrow. DHS is going to court to take them.

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment

HI! We're so glad you came to share with us!
We would love to hear your thoughts and questions!