I told her that she is acting tired, so she needed to go take a nap.
FREAK. OUT.
Let her rage for a while.
Stuck my head in the door.
"Sunshine. You are not making baseball choices right now. If you would like to join us at the game, you will start to do so."
Walk away to let that sink in.
Her shorts go flying out her bedroom door.
Crack the door look at the ceiling.
"Sunshine. Stop yelling. Stop jumping around hitting the walls." (but... but... you're not looking a'me) "Put your lips together. Go to your bed. pull back the covers." She does. "Lay down. Cover yourself up." she does. "Shut your eyes and stay in that position until I come get you. I am not looking at you because you are not dressed and I do not want to see your v@gina."
but... but I don't have any pants
"why?"
because I threw them out in the hall
I raise an eyebrow.
I accidentally peed on them.
"no. you didn't. you never told me you had to go to the bathroom. You peed in your pants on purpose. (pause for that to sink in) Where else did you pee?"
on the floor by the door
"on purpose." (yeah "Lay down, close eyes, don't move"
I shut the door.
She's asleep.
All because I didn't say "NAP" a second time.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Is "nap" a trigger word for her always? With some of the little kids (usually chronically ill) that I know, it's been a way to btush off their physical complaints. "Oh, just go take a nap." Though I know you don't use it that way.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I wouldn't put anything *past* the previous Adoptive Mom...
Anyway, all this long windedness is to say that "Lay down, close eyes, don't move" is probably a great idea! I use/have used "Would you like to be not tired?" with the wee ones I've volunteered with in the past..
Also, "baseball choices" is *amazing*- Very concrete, and it gave me a grin, too!
*brush off. Ugh. Typos.
ReplyDeleteOnly when she's tired.
ReplyDeleteNo, she would *not* like to be "not tired".